KNYSNA NEWS - According to a well-placed informed source, the three murders in Knysna in the past few days have shocked and perplexed the ANC, as they appear to be linked to an internal ANC faction fight in Knysna.
Former Knysna Mayor Aubrey Tsengwa (48), a sitting Ward 8 councillor for the ANC, was shot multiple times while driving down Ngxalo Street in Joodsekamp, Knysna, with three other men on Wednesday evening, 19 August. One of his companions was shot in the arm.
Then, just 24 hours later, at about 21:00 on Thursday evening, 20 August, former Knysna Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane (47) and a 48-year-old man believed to be a leading figure in the taxi industry were shot and killed in a vehicle in Bongani.
The second victim’s name has yet to be released.
It is reported that on Tuesday, the day of Tsengwa’s murder, the ANC had planned to call a community meeting to discuss the party’s candidate nominees for the upcoming local government elections on 4 November.
Murdered: Former Knysna ANC Ward 7 councillor Mandla Matiwane (47)
History of strife
Last year, Tsengwa and his brother were allegedly involved in an altercation with other ANC members in Ward 8, after which Tswenga laid charges of assault.
The alleged assault took place during a registration day for a by-election on 25 June 2025 to fill the vacancy left when Tsengwa resigned as councillor, following his removal as mayor due to a successful motion of no confidence in February 2025.
A team of Knysna detectives were assembled to investigate his charges and counter-charges resulting from the fracas, allegedly between ANC factions in Concordia.
At the time, Warrant Officer Christopher Spies, SAPS spokesperson, said eight arrests had been made, but they were released pending a court appearance.
A number of high-ranking ANC provincial officials were said to be present when the fight broke out.
The brawl was allegedly triggered after questions were asked about a house-to-house registration process that had allegedly not been sanctioned by top ANC structures.
It is believed that the disagreements between the two factions were later “resolved”.
SIU tender investigation
Just two weeks ago, on 7 August, President Cyril Ramaphosa threw a cat among the pigeons when he proclaimed a Special Investigation Unit (SIU) investigation in the Government Gazette into possible tender irregularities in Knysna Municipality stemming from a tender worth R68m.
The proclamation mandates the SIU to investigate alleged irregularities in the municipal tender T25 of 2023/24 for a three-year contract for “physical security services” for various municipal properties.
According to the proclamation, the allegations to be investigated include alleged unfair procurement, improper conduct by officials and suppliers and related financial losses suffered by the municipality.
According to Knysna-Plett Herald’s source, there have been suggestions that money and control over the tender have not been “equitably distributed”.
Sokopo: ‘Too early to have a view’
Last night, in response to questions posed by Knysna-Plett Herald about the three murders this week, Mzwanele Major Sokopo, the current ANC MP for Knysna and former ANC regional secretary, said: “Law enforcement is hard at work. It is still early to have a view on the current atrocities that are taking place in Knysna. We trust that law enforcement will bring stability while swiftly dealing with the investigation.”
The police are investigating whether the latest murders are related to the killing of Tsengwa.
Bystanders on the murder scene in Bongani on Thursday evening.
Previous related articles:
- BREAKING: Manhunt launched after two more men gunned down in Knysna – day after Tsengwa murdered
- Two reportedly shot in Knysna’s Bongani area
- Former Mayor Aubrey Tswenga shot dead
- Police investigate shooting death of former Knysna mayor, Aubrey Tsengwa
- Knysna Municipality, GRDM condemns violence after Tsengwa killing
‘We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news’