POLITICAL NEWS - Sticking to his guns, George Mayor Melvin Naik has opted to not resign.
DA George Constituency Head Geordin Hill-Lewis said as Naik would no longer be a DA member, he could no longer be mayor as he automatically loses his seat in council.
“This action has not been easy, but has been taken because the DA is committed to upholding our commitment to clean government so that voters can be sure that when they vote for the DA, they get a government of integrity, accountability and transparency,” said Hill-Lewis.
This action stems from a forensic investigation report which details allegations of gross misconduct in the War on Waste project and directly implicates Naik, along with other officials.
If Naik had agreed to resign as mayor, he would have stayed on as councillor.
Deputy mayor Charlotte Clarke will step in as acting mayor.
Read related articles:
- DA gives Naik the boot
- Naik: I will not resign
- DA requires Melvin Naik to resign as mayor
- Naik sits tight in storm
- DA suspends George mayor
- 'Prepare for a bombshell'
- DA caucus votes Naik must go
- DA accused of selective action after gunning for Mayor
- DA lays criminal charges against Mayor, senior officials
- DA wants to suspend mayor following damning report
- Municipal investigations: Game of thrones
- MEC and MM lock horns
- Minister responds to statement by Municipal Manager
- Municipal Manager responds to investigation report
- Mayor welcomes investigation, Municipal Manager questions motives
- Bredell orders investigation into George Municipality
'We bring you the latest Garden Route, Hessequa, Karoo news'